We’ve all been there. Waking up on the wrong side of the best is the worst feeling ever. Plus, waking up in a bad mood sets the tone for the rest of the day, bringing down my productivity and the mood of everyone around me. So, here’s some steps I like to take to ensure I always wake up of the right side of the bed.
The Night Before
- Plan It Out – Take a piece of paper and write down everything that’s on your mind. Large tasks that need completing, a goal you want to achieve, or even something incredibly mundane like brushing your teeth. Anything you have going on in you brain; write it down. Getting everything on paper and out of your head will help to clear your mind to get a proper rest. Now put the paper to one side and forget about everything.
- Make sure you get at least 8 hours – If you know you have to be up early in the morning, make sure you alter your evening routine to allow for a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Sleep deprivation is enough to make anyone grouchy.
- Wake up when you hear the alarm – The absolute worst thing you can do is hit that snooze button. As tempting as it is to close your eyes and drift back off to the land of nod, you’re only going to be making it more difficult for yourself to wake up later. Keep your eyes awake, stretch or even talk to yourself to keep yourself awake.
- Stretch – Getting up and doing some morning stretches will not only feel amazing after a full nights rest but it actually has lots of benefits. Stretching helps blood flow to all parts of your body, including your brain ensuring you’re mentally ready for the day. It also helps any aches and pains, improves posture and helps shake away any lingering sleepy feelings.
- Drink Water and Lemon – Drinking water and lemon is amazing for you first thing in the morning and as tempting as a hot cup of coffee may be, water should definitely be the first thing you reach for. You’ve just been asleep for 8 hours. Think how dehydrated your body is! Drinking water and lemon in the morning will help your digestive system function properly, help your skin, hair and overall appearance and helps cleanse your system.
- Music – Finding an upbeat, energetic, feel-good playlist is a key factor in starting your morning off right. Listening to a song that either makes you feel a certain way, motivates you to do something awesome or reminds you of a happy memory, can help take your morning from boring to exciting in a matter of minutes.
- Breakfast – Having a delicious and filling breakfast is an absolute must for me to start my day off. We’ve all be hangry and trust me, it’s not pretty. I love a Healthy English Breakfast in the morning.
- Craft A Plan Of Attack – Over breakfast, I like to sit down with that piece of paper I dumped my brain onto the night before. Reading through the list, I’m able to plan out my day to be the most productive I can possibly be. I like to make an hour by hour schedule starting with my biggest task first. Need some help completing your to-do lists? I covered that in this blog post here.
- Laugh – The best thing to get you in a happy frame of mind is to laugh, smile and just have fun. Play with your dog, make jokes with your partner or just laugh at yourself. You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine. (P.S. maybe don’t laugh in public by yourself…People may think you’re crazy.)
What do you guys like to do to make sure you start your mornings off right?
Make sure to follow my social media!